FAQs for Recertification
To recertify for your Level 2 CCBA® and Level 3 CBAP® designations, you must earn a minimum of 60 Continuing Development Units (CDUs) every three years from your Date of Certification.
Refer to the IIBA recertiifcation handbook for the rules allows for acceptable CDUs
What are Continuing Development Units (CDU)
Continuing Development Units (CDU) are the measuring unit the IIBA uses to quantify approved learning and professional service activities for recertification.
CDUs can be achieved by
- attending IIBA NZ Meetups
- attending online IIBA Webinars (as self directed learning)
- complete relevant formal academic education or professional development (such as learning new skills) directly related to business analysis
- provide a volunteer service (such as being a study group facilitator, regional event volunteer or IIBA board member or non-employer community or charitable group where activities are aligned with the BABOK® guide.)
- gain professional experience in a relevant business analysis aligned to the BABOK® guide.
- complete professional activities such as a speaker or instructor on business analysis at a conference, workshop, formal course or IIBA® chapter meeting or developer of content for a formal business analysis learning program
With some exceptions, one CDU is usually earned for every hour spent in a planned, structured learning experience or professional activity
CDU Categories and Values
|Category||CDU Activity||Activity Value|
|1||Formal Academic Education||Maximum 30 CDUs per 3 yr cycle|
|2||Professional Development||Maximum 30 CDUs per 3 yr cycle|
|3||Professional Activities||Maximum 30 CDUs per 3 yr cycle|
|4||Self Directed Learning||Maximum 15 CDUs per 3 yr cycle|
|5||Volunteer Service||Maximum 30 CDUs per 3 yr cycle|
|6||Professional Experience||Maximum 25 CDUs per 3 yr cycle|
How do I record which CDUs I have done for recertification?
It is a very good idea to keep a record of the date, course detail, CDU type and contact person for each qualifying event.
We have a CDU log template you can use for recording your CDUs
In the IIBA Global portal - after you login you can enter your Continuing Development Units (CDU) .
To do this go to My Profile > Professional development, then enter the course or workshop details.
These will then be available to you for your IIBA recertification
Consider the following tips:
- For a BA related conference, create and categorise a record for each session you attended across the day.
- Keep emails that confirm you attended.
- Keep receipts from IIBA meetups webinars confirming you attended.
- Save your records into a folder on ondrive or google drive so you have a record of your study.
What are Professional Development Hours (PDs)?
Professional Development hours additionally refers to the hours spent taking courses (classroom or online; external or internal to your organization).
Any updates will be posted on the iiba.org website as well as in our newsletter.